Thursday, September 3, 2009

Choices on the Fly


Tonight was my weekly Toastmasters meeting. 6 o'clock, downtown Spokane, 2nd floor at Auntie's Bookstore. For the second week in a row, my lovely wife attended. As we approached the building, we realized we were in big trouble.

Parking in Downtown Spokane is always tricky. Plenty of paylots, limited street parking. With events at the convention center, it can get frustrating finding a spot within reasonable parking distance. For me, thats about 50 feet...

Tonight, as we heard the music and smelled roasted pork in the air, we remembered "Labor Day Weekend in Spokane means Pig Out in the Park"! Not just a big event, the second biggest outdoor event of the year. No parking available whatsoever. The Parking Lots wanted 10 bucks. NO WAY!

Determined to get my wife to her 2nd meeting of Toastmasters, I dropped her off as I continued to circle around. With every turn I faced a new choice. Do I A. Spend $ to park, B. Continue to drive around and pray with fervor for an open spot, or C. leave my wife there and go sit around for an hour somewhere else.

Three pretty clear choices, and choices that had to be made over and over again with each passing moment. Round and round I went...Are THEY leaving? Nope. There's an open...oh, no, motorcycles only. How far away is the closest spot - how long would it take me to walk? 20 minutes later I was still circling. I was determined to get a close spot. Gas and Time are expensive investments, but so is my health, and my ability to not sweat in a suitcoat and have my wits and wind intact when I speak.

After each turn, I inched closer to simply leaving and coming back for my fair spouse. Just as I was about to give up, the clouds parted, the angels sang, and a spot just across the street from the bookstore opened up. I was in the exact right spot at the exact right time. Had I chosen to walk, I would have lost the same amount of time, and I would have been hot and sweaty. Had I ended up leaving, my wife would have stressed, they'd be out an evaluator, and I very well may have ended up in the doghouse for awhile...

These and dozens of other thoughts went through my mind tonight as I looked for a spot. In the end, I'm glad I stuck it out. I fulfilled my role as evaluator, though I came in the room right at 6:25. I got a close spot. And my wife was happy to see me.

The Art of Choice is flexible. The presence of Choices is a constant state of being. The more you pay attention to them, the more you understand how to make them fit your value system. The quicker you become able to make confident decisions even in continually changing conditions.

I can't promise the heavens will always open up at precisely the right moment based on the choices you make, at least you know wherever you end up is where you've chosen to go. And when you've got a choice around every corner, those Choices on the Fly will become easier as you make exercising your Power of Choice a constant and continual choice in and of itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment