Thursday, September 17, 2009

Are Your Goals Big Enough?


I've been gone a few days. This is what I've been working on, among other things.

I also watched the final performances of 'America's Got Talent' and subsequent finale last night. I was not terribly shocked at the final two, Kevin Skinner, chicken catcher country singer extraordinaire and cancer survivor operatic genius Barbara Padilla, making the cut to face each other at the end.

I was slightly surprised that Kevin won the whole thing, in part because I felt Barbara Padilla was the stronger performer, and more of a slam dunk going into Vegas and the entertainment arena. But then again, so was Adam Lambert, despite his 2nd place finish in American Idol. Even Susan Boyle, who sang before last night's results were revealed, was a clear winner in Britain's Got Talent before losing to Diversity.

It's almost as if voters say to themselves "this person is bigger than this show - I'm going to vote for the other guy, because they need it more". Granted, it could also be a bit of fickleness for over-exposed celebrity by people who haven't done anything yet. Either way, these 'Losers' can turn into Winners in a way they didn't expect at the beginning of their journey.

When you set goals, do you create realistic scenarios? Do you 'hedge your bets' to prevent disappointment? After all, who would be silly enough to say "I'm going to make a hundred thousand dollars this year, even though I've never come close in the past"? Jack Canfield would, actually. How about a million dollars?

Barbara Padilla, Adam Lambert, and Susan Boyle will all have careers that go far beyond what they set to accomplish. Losing actually opens up doors they may have been locked out of in the contracts that bind the winners. If they keep their goals small, and let the competition define them, they will limit their accomplishments as well. Regardless of how you feel about their music, Kelly Pickler, Clay Aiken, and Chris Daughtry have all gone on to great success by allowing goals bigger than winning American Idol to enter their field of view.

When you set your goals, don't limit yourself to reality, or too narrow an outcome. Leave room for a force greater than you to change your path and lift you higher than you ever imagined. If you are in a competition, why does the outcome of the competition define your future? If you can lose 25 lbs, why not 50? Or lose 25 and be in incredible shape? If you can make 100,000 dollars in 12 months or less, why NOT a million?

Make the choice to be open to more. The old saying is that one God closes a door, he opens a window. Perhaps we should change that to 'When God closes a window, he opens a door. A really BIG door."

2 comments:

  1. Rich,

    It might be symantics, I am not sure. But I don't advise anyone I work with to set unrealistic goals. That is setting them up for failure.

    I am sure if you read Jack's info he indicates that his goal wasn't from zero to a million. He went about it incrementally and then all of a sudden, the universe opened up and he made all of his goals and alot more (or at least adjusted them along the way)

    While I do believe that goals should be a little out of our reach, they should be in some way attainable.

    As such, I am of the opinion that you want to set goals with a mindset of "this or better".

    Using your weight loss example, I would set my goal to lose 25 pounds or more by New Year.

    I haven't limited myself, but I also didn't set a goal so unrealistic that when I don't do it, I deem myself a failure.

    Those are my thoughts. Are we on the same page overall?

    John

    ReplyDelete
  2. John - it is a semantics issue to a large degree. What is the definition of unrealistic? Too many people use that word to limit themselves.

    You're right, Jack's first goal was 100k, as I mentioned in the post. His second goal was a million.

    I believe people need to break through the mindset of feeling bad if they fail - fear of failure paralyzes. I'd much rather fall short of a million and make 250K than fall short of 100K and make 50K.

    It's all a matter of perspective. Failure is not opening yourself up to enough possibilities.

    ReplyDelete