Monday, August 31, 2009

August Wrap Up - Where Are We Now?


(For those looking for some additional news on my daughter, I refer you to my wife's blog: Thriving with Neurofibromatosis.)

I noticed a funny trend when I looked back at my objectives and deadlines posted two weeks ago Monday, for the Champion of Choice Challenge 2.0. I had accomplished nearly every goal NOT directly pertaining to my speaking and coaching career.

The easy ritual stuff? No problem. I'm even doing push-ups and sit-ups to go along with reading 15 pages a night of Atlas Shrugged, doing family meetings and Bible readings, and spending more time with my kids. I'm down to 242 lbs. I reconnected with Toastmasters. I built my wife's website. We've even started another blog about losing weight together: Stumpy & Bumpy Laugh Off The Pounds!

Yet I've created no business cards or flyers. I've not updated websites or made phone calls. Frankly, I haven't even given a speech in 2 months, except to my children.

Why? Why are these my choices? It's not that hard to figure out. I get major props for most of the above from external sources. The rest is firmly within my control. The speaking and coaching? That's risky. And why risk when there are so many supposedly productive and positive things to be doing?

Starting today, I'm putting risk back into the mix. My confidence is bolstered by what I HAVE done the last 15 days. I can do more.



Where are you with your goals? Are you eating frogs first, or, like me, sticking with the sides and desserts?

1 comment:

  1. "Putting risk back in the mix" Something I need to explore. Thanks for the great post.

    ReplyDelete