Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Champion of Choice Newsletter....

photo art by Paul Stevenson

Yesterday I was setting up a newsletter list for my wife over at ThrivingWithNF.com, and the harsh reality hit me - I haven't sent out a newsletter all year, and have only sent 3 in the lifetime of my list.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions, and in this case hell is a list of people who probably have forgotten all about me!

There are several choices involved in restarting this newsletter:

A. One or Two - most of you know that I am a speaker, and a coach. My other blog, Speak & Deliver has a strong following, and coaching is a primary income stream. As a speaker, I'm continuing to develop on the Champion of Choice theme, building a keynote and a book. Should each have a separate newsletter, or should I have a combined newsletter that covers both?

B. How Often - Monthy? Weekly? Twice a Month? What can I keep up with? Should it even have a regular schedule? What is valuable to you?

C. Do I Market - Should I put ads in the newsletter? Should I send marketing letters for various products I involve myself with to this list?

D. More Readers - While over 200 people are now subscribed, I want to get over 1000 by the end of the year - which marketing methods will let more people know about our crusade to champion choice? Currently people sign up at my website, which also faces the challenges of Speaker vs. Coach. What else can I do?

E. Content - Should I repurpose the blog? Use guest writers? Offer profiles of great Champions of Choice?

Lots to think about, but choices must be made.

Have you been sitting on a project for days, weeks, months? Share it with us, and your fellow Champions of Choice will chime in to help. As for my project? Please - help me help you!

2 comments:

  1. Alright, you asked, I answer.

    I think you should fold the tent on "Champion of Choice". I know the current trend is towards multiple websites/multiple streams of income, but I feel you're diluting Brand Richard. You've got an enormous amount of "street cred" as a public speaker and Stand & Deliver is a wonderful delivery package for you. "Champion of Choice" seems to be a side project that doesn't seem to ever go anywhere, and your heart doesn't seem to be into it.

    Put another way: Stand and Deliver is to Aerosmith as Champion of Choice is to the Joe Perry Project.

    I recall a few years back Ed Tate started a goal coaching side project such as yours and while Ed had some street cred in that area (former instructor for Franklin Covey) he never seemed to differentiate himself in the market.

    I'm convinced anyone can be a "goal coach"...the entry cost is minimal, and it's primarily marketing driven. Heck, you can probably buy a "how to be a goal coach" turnkey system (note to self: investigate this opportunity).

    It's a lot more difficult to be a speaking coach...If I were you I'd do some laser focus on the speaking coaching and after you made your first 1/2 million in revenue then and only then revisit goal coaching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the feedback Bob - certainly some things to consider. CoC has been an interesting exercise for me, and is meant to support my speaking angle, moreso than coaching, though it clearly comes across as a coaching site.

    More choices, more choices!

    ReplyDelete