Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Using Murphy's Law

"Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." - some guy named Murphy.

You've read many posts about preparing for Murphy's Law, I bet. Bring extra batteries. Call ahead. Bring a map. Carry a cel phone and cash. Wear clean underwear.

I like to use Murphy's law in my favor. Today I had a dentist appointment. I hate waiting in the waiting room, especially there. So I activated Murphy's Law by bringing a book I've been dying to read (Secret Formulas of the Wizard of Ads) with me. Got through 2 whole pages before they called me up.



Works for all sorts of things.

If I want to get a speaking slot at my Toastmasters meeting, I make sure I'm totally unprepared. Works every time.

Need one of the kids to do an errand? Don't yell down the hall. Instead, put on headphones and listen to that Every Day is Saturday Motivational MP3 you downloaded.

If I want my wife to make my favorite dish, I make sure to go through Burger King on the way home to dinner. I'm a bit stuffed by bedtime, but hey, we all have to sacrifice.

It takes conscious, creative effort to make Murphy's Law work in your favor - but all great choices do.

No comments:

Post a Comment