Saturday, August 22, 2009

Keeping the Momentum through Choice: Pt. IV - Evaluation



When you evaluate your progress, what perspective do you take? Do you count up all the things you accomplished, or all the things you did not? Your approach to looking at the past can strongly affect your future.

I find that if I look at all I haven't done, I am LESS motivated to keep going. I start to feel behind and overwhelmed. But I am predisposed to stare at the negative. When I look at what I have actually accomplished, and feel the weight of those in my brain, I gain strength to continue doing what I have set out to accomplish overall.

Society often forces us to look at all we haven't done, which de-values what we have done. Our successes and failures are continually measured against a platinum-standard only a few, by the very nature of the standard, can achieve.

The loser of the Super Bowl isn't considered an elite team, despite the fact they accomplished so much to get there. The 501st company in the Fortune 500 isn't recognized for greatness. Even in this day and age of giving trophies to all the soccer teams in every youth league - we as adults look at the 10th place trophy with cynicism, even as our child runs up to us with joy on their face despite suffering their 5th consecutive shut-out.

While I don't believe we should settle for mediocrity or failure, I do believe we need to recognize the value we do create. I didn't accomplish all my goals last week, but I accomplished many of them. Should we whip ourselves with mental sticks over the things we did not do, or take pride in what we did do?

This brings up another question. Do we want the coach who tells us we're worthless, and sends us back on the field, or the coach who says we can take over the game and come out victorious, because we're talented and strong?

Are you driven by failure or success? Is one of them the right way - the true and certain path? We're all different. Even religion recognizes this, telling its followers that they are of God and can reach there reward, but simultaneously telling them they are sinners and face the fires of hell.


There isn't an 'either/or' answer. Its a 'both' answer. Be willing to see the glass as half-empty AND half-full. Don't err on the side of one or the other. Overconfidence can create results as disastrous as NO confidence. If you tend to look at the negative, actively choose to acknowledge the positive. And vice-versa.

Go out into your next week on the strength of your victories thirsty to refill from your failures. Use both to motivate yourself - your needs may change from day to day, or from goal to goal. Don't fall into the trap of extremism - be ready see your success from every angle. Half-full or half-empty, keep in mind YOU are the one holding the glass.

===

The first week of The Champion of Choice Challenge 2.0 is in the books, and its been a great beginning. A big welcome to Phyrne who just joined the NING group - she is one of the big success stories from the first Challenge. You'll have to go there to read it for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment