Wednesday, November 11, 2009

The Choice of True Heroes


image credit: jcolman

I wear shorts a lot. If I don't have a business meeting, I'm in shorts, 12 months a year. One result of this habit is that I get a lot of comments on my super-deluxe, robot leg. Particularly from veterans. The assumption is that I lost it on the battlefield, of course. I did not, and I always tell them straight-away, and thank them for their service.

I chose to remove the lower half of my left leg. It was the best choice available to me to live a fuller life.

Veterans made a choice to serve their country. It may or may not have been the best choice available to them, but it was a choice they consciously made. The choice to serve in the military is bigger than enlisting, though, bigger than service.

Their choice isn't even just to sacrifice - it's a choice to be WILLING to sacrifice. They know they are sacrificing their time, sweat, and energy. What they can't be certain of, despite an awareness of it, is they may sacrifice their own leg in battle, or their ability to walk, or their mental health, or their very life. The choice to be willing to sacrifice, without so much as a moments notice, is what makes our Veterans True Heroes.

I never had the choice to make this choice - 4F all the way, physically. I thank God there are so many of YOU, so many of THEM, who have made these choices, so that I can make mine.

God Bless You.

No comments:

Post a Comment