Sunday, June 13, 2010

Anne Took the Stairs


Photo taken by me at Tgeregt Restaurant - our first dinner.

My friend and fellow speaker Rory Vaden promotes his program Take the Stairs, encouraging people to realize hard work is what's behind success, and the more challenging route can be more rewarding. Rory knows his stuff, and I believe in what he's saying

But for me, taking the stairs means slow arduous treks and gasping for air, which isn't the impression I want to leave once I get to the top. I need to take a few 1000 stair steppers first, drop another 30 lbs, and get my back back in shape.

Being in Europe this week, I find myself faced with lots of stairs, mini steps, spiral staircases, uneven brick roads, and bicycles, motorbikes, and cars racing along the same track I'm often attempting to walk upon. The Anne Frank Haus has many stairs, narrow, skinny stairs that go forever upwards, it seems. Heading back down on the museum side isn't much better, as they are part spriral themselves.

I was faced with a choice. I could say I went to the Anne Frank Haus knowing all I did was go to the museum, or I could tough it out and head upward, and upward, and upward. And it was worth it. Seeing the artifacts, watching the videos of the times and some survivors, going behind the bookcase that hid them for so long - an amazing experience if you ever get the chance.


What hit me hardest, though, was seeing the room she was in - covered with pictures of movie stars and people she aspired to become like when she grew up. Pictures not unlike any young girl would save, in those days and these days. Anna's diary was one of hope - that she would become a famous journalist. I'm just sorry she never saw how she turned out to be one of the most famous journalists of all.

Anna chose to take the stairs - she made choices unimaginable for girls her age all in the name of survival. The least I could do was take the stairs to witness it. I'm still not quite willing to choose the stairs 100% of the time. But I'm going to choose not to let stairs be the obstacle between me and my future, actually or metaphorically.

Do you have stairs to climb?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the props brother. You have always been one to take the stairs my friend. I admire you and enjoy watching your climb. Although of course the stairs are only a metaphor for a much more important message of mental discipline I'm glad you actually took the stairs in this case.

    It's interesting to read your post also because I am just finishing up a book called "The Travelers Gift" by Andy Andrews and in it the main character meets Anne Frank.

    The challenges I've faced in my life are nothing compared to someone like that. What a hero she is for making those tough decisions.

    Thank you for always lifting people up Rich. And for always working to develop your own self-discipline even though you can't always literally take the stairs.

    See you in the "stairwell" brother,
    Rory

    ReplyDelete